New Jersey Society SAR Color Guard
The New Jersey Society SAR formed a Color Guard in 2014 with the dual purpose of providing a formal uniformed presence for posting and retiring the colors at State meetings AND of attending National, State and community Revolutionary War events representing the New Jersey Society SAR.
It is the intent of NJSSAR to form a unit of 35 active members. Ideally, Color Guard membership will draw from all State Chapters, in order to provide Color Guard services in all sectors of the State.
Color Guard Uniforms
The Official uniform for the NJSSAR Color Guard is that of the 3rd New Jersey Regiment. The traditional color guard wears the early uniform of the New Jersey 3rd Regiment. This coat is buff (beige) with blue facing. They were known as the Jersey Grey’s.
The New Jersey Society Artillery Color Guard coat colors are black with red facing, although wear of the artillery uniform of the 3rd NJ Regiment (blue with red facing) is authorized. Additionally, any NJSSAR member is encouraged to participate with the NJSSAR Color Guard in activities when in appropriate 18th civilian or military attire
South Jersey Chapter events and local Color Guard Events
These are events coming up in the South Jersey SAR area. Members are encouraged to participate/attend the event
The heading can go in the calendar with the detail in the background
1. Sunday, September 24. Community Day, Springfield Twp Veterans Park.
- Springfield Township (Burlington Co., not Union Co.) in Jobstown, NJ “Celebrating Our Agricultural Heritage and Revolutionary War History” 12 Noon to 6PM Veterans Park (directly behind the Springfield Township Municipal Building) 2159 Jacksonville-Jobstown Rd, Jobstown, NJ 08041. Event parking and attendance is free
- Featuring Town Tractor Parade, Old Time Agricultural Equipment, Local Farm Market, Speakers, Crafts, Field Day activities, Food vendors and MORE. Groups and Families encouraged. Bring table & Chairs.
- Color Guard Role. Arrive 1130 Present and retire colors at presentation 12-1230 with fife & drum. Fife & drum and color guard, if possible, will mingle with the crowd highlighting the Revolutionary War theme. Ed Glidden will have a display of rifles and muskets.
- Community activities: 2 outdoor stages featuring our live bluegrass and folk music bands, and a great line up of food vendors! Event Space for all local farms or produce markets is free – there is no registration — and selling is encouraged! For Local and Regional Non-profit Organizations
- EVENT CONTACT :TOM STEVENSON 609-977-8078
f. Attending: Serfass, Hopefully Soth Jersey Chapter Color Guard
2. Sat Oct 14 National SAR Color Guard Event: 245st Commemoration 1778 Battle of Chestnut Neck memorial service
- Location: Chestnut Neck Memorial Park, Port Republic
Details: This is a National – level event, hosted by Somers Point Chapter SAR. The Battle of Chestnut Neck is recognized by the SAR Historic Sites and Events Committee and is now a NATIONAL event.
- The Battle of Chestnut Neck was fought on October 6, 1778 in southern New Jersey during the American Revolutionary War at Chestnut Neck, a settlement on the Little Egg Harbor River (now known as the Mullica River) near the present-day city of Port Republic, New Jersey, which was used as a base by privateers.
- Contact: Host: Somers Chapter SAR
- Attendees: Meyer, Serfass, Howard, Nelson , McCullough
News & Happenings
Greetings South Jersey Chapter members, The first order of business is to announce that “This Saturday’s, January 20, 2024 meeting of the South Jersey Chapter of the SAR has been cancelled due to potential serious weather conditions.” Sorry for the late notice;...
The South Jersey Chapter of the SAR celebrated its 100 th Anniversary in September. In order to commemorate the event, a luncheon was held at Ramblewood Country Club in Mount Laurel, New Jersey. The event was well attended and well received by eighty-two participants...
Rich Serfass, president of the SJC SAR, had the honor of presenting the Sons of the American Revolution Navy Sea Cadet bronze medal to a cadet from the USS Battleship New Jersey Sea Cadets on the Battleship’s main deck. Dressed in a uniform that mirrored that of a...